Monday, December 3, 2012

This post is a question to all creatives and I hope we can get a dialog going about the creative processes. I would like to know if there are commonalities in the creative process. I will lay out the questions and I hope readers will include their comments about their process of creativity.

Question 1: What motivates you to create the image, work of writing, etc?

For me, there is an initial stimulus, it is usually an atmosphere that I encounter while in a landscape, that feeling creates the mood and usually there is a feeling of temperature which drive the colors and a feeling of mood which drives the light or lack of it. The initial inspiration is very quick and the image is clear in the mind but the feeling and the image disappear very quickly. This initial inspiration is the impetus for the sketch which can often sit in a sketchbook for years and will often change and adapt in several different sketched versions. I feel like the layout is decided by this process of the idea fermenting.

Question 2: Do you finish a painting or work of writing before you start on something else?

I work on multiple works simultaneously, I have a short attention span when it comes with the inspiration and the details.

Question 3: Are there rituals you go through or certain processes you go through while creating?

When I first start painting, there is excitement and enthusiasm about painting. I will quickly go into somewhat of a blur while painting or writing and often forget details after finishing for the session. What often appears to be incredible in that state often turns out afterwards to be nothing but mistakes-The view I have of my work changes every time I look at the work which often is why it is hard to finish paintings. It all depends on the mood I am in and the paintings tend to take a life of their own, much of the details I don't consciously remember creating-they tend to work themselves out in the process. After a series is done, there is usually a period of somewhat depressive state with much doubt of the finished product hit the mark. Over time I will know if it was a success or failure.

The creative process is a very intangible working of the brain, I think we work between conscious and subconscious and being able to turn the creativity on and off can be a blessing or a curse. I have felt the euphoria of creating and the opposite side of that feeling and believe it is a common thing among creatives-we are constantly working between both sides of the brain and continually grow the parts of the brain that see our surroundings in a way that others might not. I hope many of my readers will chime in on this process and answer these three questions adding whatever creative thoughts or ideas of the process you see fit. Thanks for reading my blog.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting questions! Here are my answers:

    Question 1: What motivates you to create the image, work of writing, etc?

    when I am working on pieces just for myself (not commissions) I often just am motivated by a certain color or very vague idea and then I just make choices as I go along without any initial mental image of the final piece and I just see what happens with it. I dont usually know what I will get ;)

    Question 2: Do you finish a painting or work of writing before you start on something else?

    Not always. When I paint for myself though I often do things that can be completed in one sitting and don't go back to them.

    Question 3: Are there rituals you go through or certain processes you go through while creating?

    I would say that my process is very random. I make impulse choices. If I am really into what I am making then it sort of feels like I go into a very focused zone. I also like to work with music in my general living area, like the kitchen or living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply-really appreciate and value your insight. I think it's funny you mention the vagueness of the idea-it does tend to be somewhat vague and it grows with time and work-I often think that is why images survive through sketches for so long before they actually become pieces.

    I really like the idea of the one sitting idea and have tried that-often pastels are my vehicle as they are a bit more immediate and capture the feeling very quickly without much preparation.

    I often listen to music as well-often the mood of the music gets into the work which an interesting effect. Thanks again for your reply-do you have a website or blog?

    Have a great day. Steve

    ReplyDelete